Posted by: FedEx Freight on Nov 04, 2021
Company: FedEx Freight
Job Title: Driver Apprentice-Road
Job Requisition Number: RC433695
Job Family: FXF: DOCK-DOCK
Time Type: Full Time
2323 Terminal Road
Roseville, Minnesota 55113
Pay rate: $27.18/hr.
Through education and driving skills development, become proficient in the operation of a tractor trailer combination, picking up and delivering trailers between service centers and/or turn-point locations. Responsibilities may include non-driving duties such as forklift operation and working the dock.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operate tractor-trailer combination, including doubles (and other longer combination vehicle (LCV) configurations, where applicable) and/or straight trucks
2. Perform pre-trip, post-trip, and inter-trip safety inspections on equipment
3. Hook/unhook trailers and converter dollies to/from a tractor and/or trailer
4. Maintain accurate daily logs
5. Verify and complete required documentation and reports
6. Communicate with and follow Dispatch instructions regarding events including, but not limited to, delays, arrivals, equipment problems, etc., as required
7. Comply with hazardous material regulations and company procedures, and confirm placarding matches hazmat shipments, as required
8. Demonstrate internal and external customer service
9. Where operationally necessary, perform job duties of a city driver or freight handler
10. Where operationally necessary, perform freight handling using appropriate motorized and manual equipment, including, but not limited to, forklift, pallet jack, and hand truck
11. Chain vehicle tires, as required
12. Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures
13. Perform other duties as required
Disclaimer: This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
• Must possess a class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or a commercial learning permit (CLP) prior to entering job classification
• Must possess acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) based on hiring standards
• Must meet all Department of Transportation (DOT) regulatory requirements under section 391 of the Federal Motor Carrier (FMC) regulations
• Ability to count and perform basic math, with or without a calculator
• Basic written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to hook up and break down sets of trailers that require an average lift force of approximately 100 pounds, several times a day
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time, bend, twist, squat, climb in and out of truck
• Ability to follow instructions and complete required training
• Ability to work independently and/or as a team member
• Drive long distances day and night on all types of roads in all types of weather
• Exposure to noise and vibration
• Exposure to dust and diesel fumes
• Exposure to hazardous materials shipped and packaged under DOT regulations
• Hours may vary due to operational need
• Overnight stays may be required for some schedules
FedEx Freight is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you have a disability and you need assistance in order to apply for a position with FedEx Freight, please call 800-888-8252 or e-mail at ADAAssistance@freight.fedex.com.
FedEx Freight will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because such employee or applicant has inquired about, discussed, or disclosed the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
HR. Website URL: