Posted by: Navy Exchange Service Command on Nov 03, 2021
Virginia Beach , VA
Maximizes sales and profitability for assigned group of businesses through the development and implementation of strategy, analysis, and appropriate reaction to sales trend.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the development and implementation of business strategy for a category of responsibility to achieve departmental sales, gross margin, and turnover objectives for a worldwide omni-channel retail organization.
- Responsible for the leadership, supervision and development of a staff consisting, Assistant Buyer, and Merchandiser.
- Analyzes market trends and offerings to develop, execute and maintain merchandise stock assortments, business strategies and goals and seasonal plans for assigned merchandise departments.
- Negotiates with vendors to obtain most favorable prices and allowances to achieve sales and profit objectives for basic and seasonal merchandise.
- Manages vendor performance.
- Global sourcing for private label, seasonal and basic merchandise as appropriate.
- Works with other cognizant codes to develop space allocation, adjacencies, seasonal merchandise, visual guidelines and planograms for store sets and renovations.
- Develops and executes marketing plan for assigned departments. Oversees order placement and tracking to ensure timely receipt of merchandise.
- Maximize coop of market development funds.
- Works closely with the Divisional Merchandise Manager, Inventory and Financial Planning Teams to plan sales, gross profit and stock turn both seasonally and annually, as well as maintaining an in-season forecast on a monthly basis.
- Works closely with Divisional Merchandise Manager, Inventory and Financial Planning teams to analyze financial performance using tools such as, but not limited to, Data Warehouse and Category Scorecard to ensure established goals are being met and takes appropriate corrective action when necessary.
- Works closely with Divisional Merchandise Manager and Inventory Planning teams to determine and execute automated methods of replenishment
- Works with Financial and Inventory Planning teams to determine optimal order size, inventory levels and allocations needed to achieve merchandising and financial goals.
- Prepares merchandise information and training for Communication Guide through Weekly Retail Focus, Seasonal Trend Directives, Merchandise Adjacency and Presentation Guides, Special /Unadvertised Buyer Promotions, new Products and Vendor launches, Flex Zone Directives, Return to Vendor Directives, Pricing Errors Directives, Product Hold updates, Ad Flyers Errors, In Stock Issues
- Conducts store visits as appropriate to evaluate merchandise presentation, customer demographics, stock assortments and inventory levels. Works closely with store management to address and maximize business opportunities.
- Provides associate training seminars as appropriate.
- Attends trade shows and markets as appropriate
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain collaborative partnerships with vendors and internal and external colleagues.
- Works under the general supervision of the Divisional Merchandise Manager. Operates independently within the Framework of NEXCOM policies, procedures, and regulations. Exercises independent judgment and approach in routine and non- routine situations. Consults with supervisor on such issues as policy matters, deviations from normal procedures or unusual circumstances. Performance is evaluated on operational performance, skills evaluations, customer service, collaboration and teamwork, leadership and established individual performance objectives.
The incumbent of this position must file a Financial Disclosure Report (OGE) Form 450, as required.
Total of 7 years of experience consisting of the following:
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: 3 years general experience which was gained in administrative, merchandising, technical or other responsible work which enabled the applicant to gain a knowledge of merchandising and procurement practices; skill in dealing with others in person-to person work relationships; and the ability to exercise mature judgment.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE: 1 year of education above the high school level may be substituted for 9 months of experience, up to a maximum of a 4 year bachelors degree for 3 years of general experience.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: 4 years of progressive experience which provided background in procurement practices, methods and procedures; developing and maintaining open-to-buy; selecting sources of supply; comparison shopping; review of merchandise for pricing, markdowns and stock rotation; planning and developing sales promotions and other merchandise controls; or similar work which demonstrated the knowledge and ability within the procurement operational area.
HR. Website URL: