Posted by: U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission on Apr 13, 2021
Rockville , MD 20852
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is proud to be ranked as a BEST Place to Work in the Federal Government. We've earned our top ratings by creating a work environment rich in opportunity, diversity, leadership training, teamwork, and work life balance. Help guide our nation into the next generation of nuclear safety! Begin a challenging career with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission where you can be part of a select group of professionals who protect people and the environment with the peaceful use of nuclear materials in medicine, industry and research.
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), Government and Enterprise Management Services Division (GEMS)Architecture, Portfolio and Investment Branch (APIB), Rockville, MD.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be responsible for planning, managing, and monitoring large scale information for technology projects.
You will recommend and/or determine scope and extent of programs and projects regarding organizational arrangements, and resource allocation.
You will lead, coordinate, communicate, integrate, and be accountable for the overall success of the program, ensuring alignment with agency or enterprise priorities.
You will also serve as an authoritative expert and consultant for assessing urgent project and program requirements, managing priorities and workload, developing policies, standards, and guidelines related to the agency's architecture and technology programs.
You will provide overall management of contract cost, schedule, staffing, and technical performance of information technology projects.
You will maintain a continual awareness of the status of the current project and contract tasks, to guarantee the necessary responsiveness to highly critical requirements.
You will manage a portfolio of IT investments that align with the overall needs of mission and enterprise priorities.
You will develop points of contact with other government agencies, private industry, academic and consulting firms and provides critical expertise in system interrelationships, flow of data and data exchange information between systems.
You will apply data security principles to provide advice on potential threats on IT network, security and operations.
In order to qualify for this position, you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level (GG-13) in the Federal Service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as experience which includes:
1. Detailed knowledge of advanced analytical techniques to perform extensive technical evaluations.
2. Extensive knowledge of IT project management, data and data security principles to provide expert guidance to IT applications personnel.
3. Detailed knowledge of system interrelationships, sources of data, flow of information and availability of data among various users.
4. Broad knowledge of governmental data policies, procedures, standards and authorized system design approaches to facilitate long range planning and forecasting of IT data resources.
5. Expert knowledge of data applications programming and analysis techniques.
6. Extensive knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
A description of how you possess the specialized experience, as well as how you meet the qualifications desired, should be addressed in your resume and additional space provided for supplemental response.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience with the following:
• Automating the collection of data from varying sources, formats, and quality and preparing them for analysis.
• Applying a variety of analytical approaches to solve mission focused policy, methodologies, and/or administrative problems in a fast-paced environment.
• Clearly and concisely presenting the findings of analytical products to policymakers and non-technical audiences.
• Regularly conducting analysis in a programing or statistical software suits such as: R, Python, SAS, SPSS, STATA, Tableau, PowerBI (Specific Agency requirements
• Working with large data and/or data sets coming in at a high rate.
• GS/GG-14 level candidates would be expected to work independently and/or at as a senior analyst in teams. They are a subject matter expert advising senior policy
makers on methodological or analytical issues.
Degree: Mathematics, statistics, or actuarial science. The degree must be in a major field of study (at least at the baccalaureate level) that is appropriate for the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major field of study e.g. mathematics, statistics, or actuarial science, plus additional education or appropriate experience.
How to Apply
Visit www.nrc.gov Review the NRC Career Opportunities page, click on “Apply Now” then “Search for New Opportunities” and click on “view a list of current NRC vacancies, please visit USAJobs EXIT.” Find the Sr. Data Scientist Job Announcement Number OCIO/GEMS-2021-0004 and apply on-line by April 30, 2021. We strongly encourage you to read the entire announcement before you submit your application for this position so that you correctly submit all necessary materials and documentation. If you are viewing this opportunity after April 30th please visit NRC’s website and discover additional opportunities for which you might be interested.
Bachelors degree or higher
HR. Website URL: