Posted by: U.S. Postal Service on Jan 09, 2021
Juneau , AK 99801
Installs, maintains, repairs, removes, and disposes of postal equipment as appropriate at post offices (offices not having maintenance capability) within the geographic area served by the area maintenance office to which assigned. Installs, moves, or repairs post office screen-line equipment, lock boxes, furniture, and mechanical equipment, supervising such additional help as projects may require.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. At regional direction, moves and sets up offices in new or remodeled postal quarters; assembles, installs screen-lines, workroom, lobby, and operating equipment. Supervises carpenters and/or helpers as projects may require. Classifies or assists postmasters in classification of postal equipment for disposal or refurbishing. Under postmaster's authority, purchases materials and employs helpers as warranted.
2. Makes major and minor repairs to postal operating equipment in offices without maintenance capabilities; conducts maintenance inspections and provides operating, minor repair, and maintenance instruction to postal employees in the offices served. Whenever possible, conducts maintenance inspection and the instruction of postal employees in conjunction with emergency service trips to installations.
3. Troubleshoots, repairs, overhauls, and installs postal operating equipment such as, but not limited to, stamp vending machines, cancelling machines, scales, print punch money order machines, tying machines, conveyors, safe and vault locks and other components, protective systems and devices, timeclocks, and money changers. Keeps abreast of current maintenance criteria and effects service accordingly.
4. Maintains inventory of all postal operating equipment in the offices served by the area maintenance office. Makes recommendations to supervisors and/or obtains stock of operating equipment repair parts, maintaining inventories at levels prescribed by the region or the Department. Maintains record of parts in stock; ships parts to territory offices as required to meet respective office needs. Keeps records of parts used, frequency of replacements, and submits reports to the regional office at prescribed intervals.
5. Installs and maintains protective systems and devices on safes and vaults in post offices. Opens safes and vaults, changes and repairs combinations, and disarms systems and devices.
6. Provides emergency service and makes minor repairs to air conditioning systems at government owned buildings not under service contracts. Prepares report of needs for the postmaster if the lessor has maintenance responsibility or the manufacturer if the system is under warranty.
7. Initiates reports to the regional office on major work assignments, shortages of equipment, and completed screenline installations. Makes reports of unsatisfactory conditions relating to equipment damage, classification, and defieiencies. Makes written recommendations for equipment improvements, perations, and fabrication changes.
8. Drives motor vehicle to respective offices to effect on-the-scene repairs and screenline installation or modification. Communicates with postmasters by phone, correspondence, and personal visits to investigate reports of malfunctions, disorders, or other needs within the area maintenance office territory.
9. Performs other maintenance duties as instructed by the 10. Uses various hand and power tools and testing devices incident postmaster at the area maintenance office when not engaged in area maintenance duties. to the mechanical, electrical and electronic, and carpentry trades.
11. Observes established safety practices and procedures and instructs helpers accordingly
High school or ged
Commensurate with experience
HR. Website URL: