Posted by: Virginia Lottery on Sep 24, 2020
The Virginia Lottery, an independent state agency, is currently seeking a Quality Assurance Analyst to join its Project Management Office.
This position serves in an important role to ensure desired requirements are met with flawless execution and delivery of new and existing products. The QA Analyst will work extensively with Business Analysts, Project Managers, the Manager of Business Analysis and Quality Assurance, and the Lottery’s primary gaming system vendor. As a member of the PMO, this position must align efforts with the Lottery’s strategic plans, goals, and objectives and must effectively communicate ideas and strategies upward and across the agency to peers and staff.
The Quality Assurance Analyst will:
• Serve as one of two persons responsible for researching, analyzing, writing, executing, maintaining, reporting, and revising quality assurance test scripts, test cases, software user manuals, and testing materials, ensuring full compliance with established QA procedures, best practices, and industry standards for software and software processes.
• Ensure system availability of multiple systems, confirm equipment and hardware are functioning and operational and test environments are properly set up for test cycles each test day, as well as performing end-of-day duties to close and balance the test lab each test day.
• Develop, publish, execute, and maintain detailed QA testing estimates, testing schedules, and related documentation and ensure the accurate implementation of the QA test plan for each batch cycle. Provide daily reports on test status.
• Execute user and functionality testing using test scripts that fully exercise all requirements and User Acceptance Testing (UAT) of impacted systems.
• Serve as back-up for other QA staff when necessary during each test phase.
• Design, create, maintain, and update UAT test scripts and test cases. Work with project team members to ensure business requirements and requirements documents are clear, concise, traceable, and testable. Translate business needs into precise, testable software requirements.
• Participate in creating and understanding technical project scope documents, working papers, user requirements, Functional Requirements Document (FRD), Enhancement Change Requests (ECR), Trouble Incident Reports (TIR), and Request for Software Service (RFSS) documents.
• Possess technical knowledge to work well with all levels of technical staff and bring business knowledge to projects.
• Possess experience working on projects using Waterfall and Agile methodologies in a QA environment.
• Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects.
• Streamline and enhance the testing lifecycle to ensure test planning, execution, and reporting is effective, efficient, standardized, coordinated, and integrated.
• Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and budget.
• Perform special projects and assignments as required.
The person selected for this position will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited 4-year college or university with major studies in Information Technology, Business Administration or related field.
• Four-plus years of experience in software quality assurance testing and documentation in the information technology arena.
• Exceptional time management and planning skills and the ability to communicate project status on all assignments.
• Extensive knowledge of and experience with quality assurance testing, processes, and industry best practices.
• Experience working under tight deadlines and constraints to successfully deliver the User Acceptance Testing phase.
• Knowledge of project management strategies and methodologies, including experience working on Waterfall and Agile projects.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others, both within the Lottery and externally.
• Exceptional organizational skills, including attention to detail and excellent multi-tasking skills.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects of varying complexities, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and leadership skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including active listening skills, as well as oral and written communication skills.
• Strong and tested project management skills, including facilitation, team leadership, vendor, and risk management.
• Ability to deal with ambiguous situations, complex concepts, and details.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint, and Project).
• Proficiency in using Jira Software (Atlassian) as a bug tracking tool.
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Advanced degree in Information Technology, Business Administration, or related field.
• Experience configuring automated testing tools as well as designing and executing automated test suites.
• Certification from International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB).
• Certified Manager of Software Testing (CMST) or Certified Software Tester (CSTE).
• Lottery experience.
The selected candidate will be required to pass a background investigation, and possess a valid Driver’s License. Minimum travel required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The Virginia Lottery is an independent state agency, and as such all positions are exempt from the Virginia Personnel Act, as well as most Executive Branch human resources policies. The Virginia Lottery is a fun place to work and values diversity in the workforce. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Virginia Lottery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Only online applications completed in their entirety will be accepted for this position.
The Virginia Lottery will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed when applying online, please contact the Virginia Lottery’s Human Resources Department at (804) 692-7000.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable pool of candidates is received. After 5 business days, this position may be closed at any time.
Bachelors degree or higher
$60,000 to $80,000
HR. Website URL: