Great Hearts Academies - Classical Education, Revolutionary Schools
Great Hearts is a growing network of 45 public, open-enrollment, tuition-free, classical liberal arts academies in San Antonio (TX), Dallas/Ft. Worth (TX), Phoenix (AZ), and Baton Rouge (LA). In addition to our brick/mortar schools we also operate Online academies, with fully remote instruction. We currently provide over 25,000 K-12 students with access to a high quality, classical liberal arts education, without the barriers that often come with private prep schools. We gladly prepare our graduates for success in the best universities in the nation, but our main purpose is the formation of the soul, heart, and mind. We believe that the highest goal of education is to become good, intellectually and morally.
What distinguishes our schools from any other institutions I’ve known is faculty culture. Our teachers are a true community of learners, and our professional development opportunities are unparalleled – from SPED certification pathways to subsidized Masters degree programs with several partner universities, from regular faculty seminars to national events such as the Classical Education Symposium – they represent well the vibrant academic community of Great Hearts.
JOB OPENINGS – Academic Year 2023-24:
• Mathematics: Pre-Algebra to Calculus, Logic & Coding
• Sciences: Life Science, Earth/Physical Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry
• Humanities: Western Traditions of Literature, History, Philosophy, Economics, Rhetoric
• Elementary Classroom Teachers and Apprentice Teachers
• Fine Arts: Music, Poetry, Visual Arts, Drama
• Languages: Latin, Ancient Greek, Spanish, French
• Special Education and ESL: Coordinators, Teachers, Math/Reading Interventionists, Counselors, Assistants
• Physical Education: Teachers, Coaches
APPRENTICE TEACHER PROGRAM:
This program offers new teachers an intentional, individualized course of study and mentorship with a Master Teacher as they learn the craft of teaching in a classical, liberal arts primary-school environment. This full-time, paid apprenticeship is ideal for individuals who wish to gain valuable experience in the Great Hearts classroom. Apprentices are recommended to Lead teaching roles in lower, middle, or upper schools across the network.
GREAT HEARTS TEACHING:
• Our academies are bastions of academic rigor and excellence and attract students who are curious and diligent.
• Classes are run Socratically - teachers are expected to be guides as well as participants in the search for Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.
• The faculty of Great Hearts Academies is a true community of life-long learners who, together, participate in seminars, attend classical music concerts, hear lectures on art, philosophy, mathematics, and other topics in the liberal arts, and enjoy frequent fellowship (frequently over food and drink!)
• Certification is not required for gen.ed. roles. While many of our teachers do come from education programs or other local public schools, most others hold undergraduate/graduate degrees in the academic subjects they teach and/or undergraduate or graduate degrees from top liberal arts programs.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates may begin the application online at www.GreatHeartsCareers.org. The site offers much information about teaching at Great Hearts, and includes a brief initial application (5 mins.), through which you may submit materials for review. Per your indication of regional preferences (Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Baton Rouge) and openness to consideration in multiple regions, we will make your application available to all relevant Headmasters and/or Hiring Managers. If you have further questions, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.