Posted by: National Security Agency on May 24, 2023
Fort Meade , MD
The need to maintain our core Telecommunications Engineering competency is vital to providing the technical capabilities necessary to successfully execute NSA's mission. With the rapid evolution of communications systems, NSA requires a highly talented, diverse and technically focused workforce responsible for research and development of technologies and systems involving one or more of the following areas: traditional circuit switched networks; data networks; access technologies; wireless systems for the previous purposes; the media to carry such services; the protocols required for the completion of transport and services; operations of networks; management of network resources; provisioning of resources; traffic and/or performance modeling of such networks. Telecommunications Engineers will be expected to provide hands-on support for all aspects of site systems.
Given the pace of advances in our telecommunications environment and myriad of state and non-state adversaries, Telecommunications Engineers at the NSA develop, support and maintain the technologies and capabilities to maintain our advantage in both information gathering and national defense. We are looking for Telecommunications Engineers with strong knowledge of satellite communications networks and systems.
As a Telecommunications Engineer, your responsibilities can include:
- Assist in site surveys, system installations, configuration management, maintenance, modernization, and sustainment of a Global Enterprise SATCOM Network.
- Coordinate with the system engineering and dataflow efforts to ensure proper mission operations with minimal down time.
- Troubleshoot Basic IP Networks, and assist with the provisioning and installation of telecommunications equipment.
- Assist with setup, testing, and integration of VSAT (Very Small Aperture Terminal) SATCOM systems. Install and set-up interconnectivity between systems and subsystems.
- Coordinate requirements with users and suppliers.
- Provide Tier 2 on-site and remote support to telecommunications equipment.
- Analyze problems to determine technical solutions.
- Decide what architectures will be required to solve technical problems.
- Develop conceptual designs or models to address requirements.
- Identify and assess organizational, business, or user needs, constraints, and requirements as they relate to the system, process, or structure being designed.
- Identify new and existing products, technologies, and/or architectures to solve design, development, and operational problems.
- Perform high-level design, specifying system and component performance and interface requirements.
- Understand WANS/CANS/LANS, telecommunication systems, their components and associated protocols and standards.
- Configure, manage, and sustain network infrastructure.
- Identify the types and functions of computer and telecommunications network elements, document their intercommunications, and map physical and logical target networks by graphing their communications.
- Troubleshoot networks, computers, and peripheral devices in order to isolate the causes of failures or problems.
- Validate testing and quality assurance of Information Technology (IT) systems.
- Conduct RF site surveys and include results in the design and performance assessments of RF systems.
- Work with and/or lead project teams to satisfy operational requirements for RF systems.
The ideal candidate is someone with excellent problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills who is able to:
- Apply telecommunications techniques (e.g., related to transmissions, broadcasting, switching, control, operation).
- Apply the concepts, principles and theories of telecommunications, including their components and associated protocols and standards and how they integrate with one another (e.g., transmissions, switching, routing management).
- Apply concepts, principles, theories, and methods for evaluating and testing telecommunications and computer networks.
- Apply the concepts, principles, theories, and methods for network connectivity (e.g., routing, switching and IP addressing).
- Apply knowledge of communications theory to RF engineering problems.
- Optimize system performance through repeated adjustment, testing, and re-adjustment.
- Create and maintain documentation of system, subsystem, or equipment life cycle.
- Apply principles, methods, and applications of communication theory such as signal processing, decision theory, estimation theory and modulation-demodulation.
- Apply principles of electrical and communications systems; including aspects of energy conversion, electrical power generation, and energy transmission, control, distribution, or use.
- Apply principles of math, physics, electronics theory, electrical network theory, and control systems to the design, fabrication, and testing of devices that are designed to operate in the radio frequency spectrum.
- Apply principles and methods used for test planning, evaluation, verification, and validation of systems or system elements.
Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following is desired:
- Experience in satellite communications, line-of-sight microwave, installations and repair telecommunication network systems components in direct support of the government's mission.
- Experience with SATCOM network support to ensure proper operation, maintenance and engineering on relative satellite communications equipment and systems.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule:
Salary offers are based on candidates' education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position.
Salary ranges vary by location and work level. This position is hiring for Maryland and Georgia.
Salary Range: $89,931 - $172,075 (Full Performance, Senior level)
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Work Schedule: Typical work schedule is Monday - Friday, with basic 8 hr/day work requirements between 0600 and 1800 (flexible).
How To Apply - External:
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
HR. Website URL: