Posted by: National Security Agency on May 24, 2023
Fort Meade , MD
The National Security Agency (NSA) currently has opportunities for highly motivated Civil Engineers who specialize in Water Resource, Transportation, or Structural Engineering. Our Civil Engineers solve complex mission driven facilities issues and are responsible for engineering services in the planning, design, construction, sustainment, and decommissioning life cycle of NSA facilities worldwide as part of a multi-discipline team.
As a Civil Engineer at NSA, responsibilities may include:
- Developing civil designs, construction plans and specifications, including design analysis, calculations, and cost estimates
- Conducting field investigations or studies and writing reports
- Performing Design Quality Control of in-house and A-E civil designs
- Conducting inspections of projects under construction, reviewing construction submittals, answering Contractor's RFIs, and validating as-constructed drawings
- Performing routine and periodic inspections of facilities and making recommendations
- Attending and leading project meetings while projects are in the design phase
- Coordinating among Customer, Architect, other design disciplines, O&M, and other stakeholders
- Preparing Architecture-Engineer (A-E) or Design
- Building statements of works, performance requirements, and cost estimates
- Managing and leading A-E contractors hired to perform engineering services
- Responding to operating facilities emergences, when engineering support is needed
The candidate should demonstrate the following general skills:
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Service
- Continual Learning
- Effective Communication
Knowledge and skill in one or more of the three civil engineering specialties (Stormwater, Traffic, or Structural engineering) is preferred. Each are described below:
1) Water Resource Engineer
Civil Engineers with water resource expertise ensure NSA facilities comply with State storm water requirements and best management practices. Civil engineers design unique storm water features and integrate these features into facilities projects. Civil Engineers with underground utility experience are also needed. Knowledge and experience in the following areas are desired:
- Technical software packages (AutoCAD, Flowmaster, Civil 3D)
- Maryland or other State Department of the Environment regulations
- Storm water management
- Sediment and Erosion Control measures and plans
- Site Development and Utility Design
- Technical standards (MDE, UFC, AWWA, MDSHA)
2) Transportation Engineer
Civil Engineers with transportation expertise study the complex NSA campuses worldwide to design solutions that improve the flow of traffic and parking on NSA campuses. The traffic focused civil engineers will be expected to work with master planners and project managers to plan and implement solutions. Knowledge and experience in the following areas are desired:
- Technical software packages (e.g. AutoCAD, AutoTurn, Synchro)
- Site development/transportation planning systems
- Vehicle and pedestrian circulation, including access control points
- Traffic signals and signage
- Pavement design
- Technical standards (e.g. UFC, AASHTO, MDSHA)
3) Structural Engineer
Civil Engineers with structural expertise ensure NSA facilities comply with building/structural code requirements and best practices. Civil engineers with structural focus are familiar with new building design, improvements to existing structures, building infrastructure support systems, material selection, construction inspection, loading analysis, and structural integrity of facilities. Knowledge and experience in the following areas are desired:
- Technical software packages (e.g. AutoCAD, SAP 2000, ETABS, STAAD)
- Structural analysis and design
- Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection
- Building renovation and restoration design
- Foundation Analysis and Design
- Technical Standards (e.g. UFC, IBC, ASCE, ACI, AISC, AISI, AWC)
NOTE: When submitting your application please declare which Civil Engineering specialty you are interested in, either Water Resource, Transportation, or Structural. A copy of your unofficial transcript and corporate resume is highly encouraged to be submitted with your application and may expedite processing.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule:
Salary offers are based on candidates' education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position. Salary ranges vary by location and work level. This position is hiring for Maryland.
Salary Range - $77,745 - $172,075 (Entry/Developmental, Full Performance, Senior)
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Monday - Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements between 0600 and 1800 (flexible).
How To Apply - External:
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from email@example.com. Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
HR. Website URL: