Posted by: National Security Agency on Jan 25, 2023
Fort Meade , MD
Do you have vocational/technical training in Technical Trades, Electronics, Computers, Drafting, Engineering, or Networking? Do you enjoy building, installing, modifying, repairing, fabricating prototyping parts/mechanisms, and/or testing electronic equipment?
The National Security Agency (NSA) is seeking highly motivated Engineering Specialists/Technicians - Technical Trades to help build, install, modify, repair, fabricate prototype parts/mechanisms, and/or test electronic equipment. We have opportunities at our NSA Headquarters and at our NSA Hawaii regional center. The responsibilities of an Engineering Specialist/Technician may include:
- Installing, operating, maintaining, troubleshooting and/or repairing of equipment and systems in accordance with applicable standards and processes
- Performing rack, stack, and cabling of equipment in IT machine rooms
- Maintaining Configuration Items (CI) in a centralized data base
- Capturing and tracking IT machine room Power, Space, and Cooling
- Serving as an Access Manager for IT machine rooms
- Operating industrial/production equipment, machinery (Lathes, CNC, EDM, Mills, Waterjet, Welder, Industrial Printers, Routers, 3D Printers, Electro Plating, Vacuum Casting/Forming, Injection Molding, Industrial Painting/Finishing, and Textile) and tools such as machine tools, presses, air compressors, and packaging equipment
- Operating mechanized material-handling equipment (for example, forklifts, hand trucks)
- Informing customers, management, or relevant others of work progress, project status, and problems
- Ordering, procuring, receiving, inspecting, and/or verifying ordered supplies, materials, or equipment
- Driving vehicles, such as cars, vans, or trucks to transport cargo or passengers
The ideal candidate has a desire for continual learning along with excellent problem-solving, analytic, and interpersonal skills, who is:
- Able to handle and prioritize multiple assignments
- Able to accomplish assignments with little direct supervision
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and written
- Medically clearable for worldwide travel
- Able to work effectively across several different functional areas in a collaborative environment
Knowledge, skills, and experience in one or more of the following is desired:
- Working at heights to include antenna towers
- Soldering of electronic components
- Troubleshooting of electrical and mechanical devices
- RF amplification and distribution
- Power distribution
- Fabrication of RF and multi-conductor cable assemblies
- Additive Manufacturing
- 3D print
- Rapid prototyping
- FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling)
- SLA (Stereo Lithography Apparatus)
- Laser sintering
- SLS (Selective Laser Sintering)
- DLMS (Direct Laser metal Sintering)
- Plastic Powder Bed 3D printing
- Metal Powder Bed 3D Printing
- Tool & Die Machining
- CNC (Computer Numerical Control) programming
- CAD (Computer-Aided Design)/CAM (Computer-Aided Manufacturing)
- Sheet Metal Fabrication
- Industrial painting
- Punch press
- Press brake
- Water jet
- DAWIA Certification may be required
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule:
Salary offers are based on candidates' education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position. Salary ranges vary by location and work level. This position is hiring for Hawaii and Maryland.
Salary Range: $31,305 - $138,868 (Entry/Developmental, Full Performance, Senior)
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
*Candidates hired for a position in Hawaii may be eligible to receive an annual recruitment incentive, not to exceed three years.
Monday - Friday, with basic 8 hr/day work requirements between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. (flexible). Work schedule may be a fixed schedule or flexible depending on the exact position assigned.
How To Apply - External:
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
HR. Website URL: