Posted by: LexisNexis on Nov 10, 2022
Home based , NC
Job Summary: The Principal Product Manager I will own one or more products or critical product features within a complex product, requiring extensive company coordination. He/she will drive solutions to problems with the delivery team(s) and across organizations and disciplines without assistance and set the agenda for the product domain(s), driving program execution. In addition, he/she will propose new business o product strategies that reflects the customer's current and future needs and will drive commercial success. This individual will actively mentor and informally lead cross-functional team members and play a key role in interviewing and recruiting product mangers for the organization.
• Interacts with customers regularly, and thoroughly understands their use cases and business.
• Leverages analytics and other insights to better understand customer needs.
• Understands in depth competitive products and strategy, and how they influence customer decisions.
• Discerns how value is defined and perceived by each customer segment.
• Interacts with other companies in their industry domain and engages with start-ups.
• Validates product strategy based on knowledge of customers, competitors and market trends.
Data-Driven Decision-Making & Analysis
• Drives formulation of overall research/testing strategy and ensure product decisions are based on data.
• Prioritizes hypothesis-driven product evaluation strategies, including AB testing for interactive products, while contributing to broader data-analyses strategies and platforms.
• Evaluates the balance between quantitative and qualitative data needed for decision making.
• Is skilled in breaking down large complex issues into simpler elements that can be effectively addressed.
• Is energized by complex issues and problems that require creative solutions.
Go to Market & Product Marketing Lifecycle
• Develops go to market strategy and launches plans at the product level through coordination with stakeholders and be accountable for coordinated execution across product, sales, marketing and other customer-facing teams.
• Ensures ROI for go to market strategy, including revenue goals.
• Develops appropriate metrics and tracking of launch initiatives and ensures reporting to stakeholders.
• Develops positioning, themes and messaging.
• Evangelizes product for sales, customers and media.
Product Delivery & Development Lifecycle
• Actively gathers data from multiple sources (customer, market, revenue, etc.) to drive effective solutions to business problems and strategic issues.
• Oversees the product strategy, planning and execution.
• Is a thought leader and innovator for his/her product incorporate emerging technologies.
• Is considered an expert in the process of defining, documenting, and implementing new features.
• Writes or consults on requirements across multiple complex and cross-functional feature areas.
Strategy & Commercial Acumen
• Drives product strategy and roadmap to deliver business impact.
• Assesses new product opportunities for commercial viability.
• Partners with others to consult on product-related business issues.
• Researches and identifies a new business model or pricing model options and makes recommendations.
• Leads development of business cases for investment.
• Has a unique history and/or expertise in product domain and serve as a technical resource for other groups.
• Is an expert in new technologies as required by job demands.
• Models self-development and supports others to take development actions
• Creates an atmosphere of continual improvement, in which self and others are encouraged to exceed the expected results
• Seeks out high-level sponsors and mentors
• Seeks out future career moves and job assignments
Solves Problems and Analyzes Issues
• Identifies and highlights new trends, potential problems and opportunities early
• Effectively coaches others on how to analyze information to solve problems
• Encourages and coaches others to seek alternative ways to solve complex problems
• Actively contributes to team culture of innovation
• Focuses innovative effort on highest impact issues and areas
• Encourages and supports others to share new ideas
• Is willing to take calculated risks
• Learns quickly from success and failure and effectively applies learning
Communicates Powerfully and Prolifically
• Delivers presentations clearly and with high impact
• Develops a trusted 2-way communication interface between the team and stakeholders
• Provides a definite sense of direction and purpose
• Provides people with a clear understanding of how their work fits within a wider organisation
Collaboration and Teamwork
• Promotes a high level of cooperation between all members of the work group
• Keeps team informed of all relevant information affecting the organisation, team members and their work
• Achieves objectives requiring a high level of cooperation from people in other parts of the organisation
• Takes the lead in resolving conflict within a work group
• Looks for ways for team to work with other teams and divisions
• Balances "getting results" with a concern for others' needs
• Is in touch with issues and concerns of individuals within the work group
• Initiates contact with other teams or divisions to build relationships that enhance the business results
• Is trusted by members of work group and across the organisation
• Adds value to the relationship
• Manages conflict within work groups
Inspires and motivates others to high performance
• Ensures that personal style encourages a positive environment
• Energizes people to achieve high levels of performance
• Creates an environment that enables individuals to be motivated
• Inspires and sustains engagement through a shared purpose and vision
• Is able to employ different motivational strategies for different people and situations
• Exercises active listening and questioning skills to effectively understand another person's needs
• Utilises PDP to its full potential
• Coaches others on regular basis
• Provides reinforcements on efforts and progress
• Gives timely, specific and appropriate feedback about development needs
• Advocates for individuals with strong performance and potential within the organisation
• Encourages team members to take personal ownership and responsibility for their own development
Focus On Results
Drives for Results
• Does everything possible to achieve goals
• Regularly measures and evaluates progress
• Accepts responsibility for the results-based outcomes of group
• Holds others accountable and encourages others to take accountability for achieving results
• Shares credit and recognition with others for achieving goals
Experience (US Only) and Education
Suggested Minimum Years of PM Experience: 10-15 years
• Identified and championed innovations that are developed and released to the marketplace with commercial success.
• Has served as a resource for internal and external groups to cultivate and evaluate product concepts.
Education to Qualify: Masters degree in technical subject (Computer Science or Engineering discipline) is strongly preferred, but not essential.
LexisNexis, a division of RELX Group, is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
HR. Website URL: