Posted by: National Security Agency on Sep 21, 2022
Fort Meade , MD
General Facility Services Officers - Responsible for the operation, maintenance, repair, modification, design, construction, and inspection of the Agency's facilities. Work closely with a team of Operations and Maintenance (O&M), Industrial Control System (ICS), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), fire alarm, and IT infrastructure management personnel who support many facets of the Industrial Control Systems in the Facilities Control Center (FCC), which is a 24/7 operations center where facilities systems can be effectively maintained. The ICS team supports power monitoring and control, the transport network, application servers and various components and applications to ensure a robust secure operation of the system.
Support for Industrial Control Systems involves a variety of skills. The successful candidate shall have knowledge/skills in at least one of the following areas and the drive and passion to master many of these functions:
- ICS HVAC/Chilled Water Distribution - Provide support to a variety of technical areas that include HVAC and chilled water distribution systems, coordination of utility outages that impact the Industrial Control Systems and to minimize disruptions to mission systems and support of the ICS installation and oversight of ICS commissioning. The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about the field of building automation and the variety of components used by such systems. This includes devices such as Direct Digital Controls (DDC), DDC Logic, sensors and end devices such as, but not limited to Variable Frequency Drives (VFD), dampers, actuators and valves.
- ICS Power Control - Provide support in the area of electrical power control and monitoring systems also known as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about electrical power systems, configuring Schweitzer protective relays, integrating power devices into Real-Time Automation Controllers (RTAC) as well as Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) programming. Knowledge of the protocols used by these devices, including mirrored bits, Modbus, Distributed Network Protocol 3 (DNP3), and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is desired.
- Fire Alarm - Provides support in the area of life safety and mass notification systems in commercial facilities. The candidate should be knowledgeable about performing inspections, testing alarms, and troubleshooting or documenting issues. Candidate will also be required to respond to emergency service calls and ensure the systems are functioning properly. Level I, II, or III NICET certification, NFPA standards, including NFPA 70 and 72 is desired.
- Networking Technologies - The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about configuring and troubleshooting Cisco switches and routers. Knowledge of and experience in routing protocols, Port Security, Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE), Domain Authentication, and Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs) is desired. Additionally, knowledge of best security practices is desired.
- Information Technology (IT) Management - The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) including managing patch deployments, configuring policies, troubleshooting application issues, and developing/deploying software images.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the following:
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Service
- Continual Learning
- Effective Communication
Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following is desired:
- Building Automation System (BAS) programming control logic (also known as Energy Management and Control Systems (EMCS)
- SCADA system operation and programming control logic
- Creating and modifying BAS or SCADA graphics
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Third party integration via BACnet, Modbus, or DNP3 protocols
- Managing and securing network infrastructure (e.g. port security, certificate management, etc.)
- Applying concepts, principles, and methods for network connectivity (e.g. routing, switching, tunneling, and IP addressing)
- Configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting firewalls and access control lists.
- Implementing, configuring, and sustaining computer security (e.g. Active Directory, Domain Policies, Patch Deployment, Antivirus, and Allow/Deny listing)
- Employing Secure Technical Implementation Guidance (STIG) and government security standards.
- Configuring and supporting Real Time Automation Controllers (RTAC)
- Evaluating and documenting PLC programs for electrical power or related systems control
- Electrical power systems, metering, protection, and control devices
- Contract mechanisms
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule:
Salary offers are based on candidates' education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position.
$50,643 - $164,102 (Entry/Full Performance/Senior)
On-the job training, internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Monday - Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements between 0600 and 1800 (flexible). Shift work and weekend work required: Days, Evenings and Mids - Rotating and Fixed shifts may be offered/available.
How To Apply - External:
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
HR. Website URL: