Posted by: National Security Agency on Oct 13, 2021
Fort Meade , MD
The professionals at the National Security Agency (NSA) have one common goal - to protect our nation. The mission requires a strong offense and a steadfast defense. The offense collects, processes and disseminates intelligence information derived from foreign signals for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes. The defense prevents adversaries from gaining access to sensitive of classified national security information.
Description of Position
The National Security Agency (NSA) offers exciting positions for engineers, plant operators and cyber professionals with commercial experience designing, commissioning and operating critical infrastructures in the energy, oil/gas, transportation, building management and chemicals industries. NSA owns and operates a plethora of mission supporting critical infrastructures such as electric power systems, water and wastewater systems, heating and cooling systems, and building management systems. NSA is responsible for the cyber hygiene and defense of related computer networks and control systems operating and controlling these critical infrastructure support systems. Interested candidate could have multiple advancement opportunities in both the operations/engineering and cyber defense arenas.
NSA offers two distinct but interconnected career paths for both 1) operations/engineering professionals and 2) cyber defense professionals with operations and engineering experience. Positions are available from Entry Level to Principal Level. Support for Industrial Control Systems require a variety of skills. The successful candidate shall have knowledge/skills in at least one of the following areas and the drive and passion to master many of these functions:
- ICS HVAC/Chilled Water Distribution - Provide support to a variety of technical areas that include HVAC and chilled water distribution systems, coordination of utility outages that impact the Industrial Control Systems and to minimize disruptions to mission systems and support of the ICS installation and oversight of ICS commissioning. The candidate should have knowledge in or interested in learning about the field of building automation and the variety of components used by such systems. This includes devices such as Direct Digital Controls (DDC), DDC Logic, sensors and end devices such as, but not limited to Variable Frequency Drives (VFD), dampers, actuators and valves.
- ICS Power Control - Provide support in the area of electrical power control and monitoring systems also known as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about electrical power systems, configuring Schweitzer protective relays, integrating power devices into Real-Time Automation Controllers (RTAC) as well as Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) programming. Knowledge of the protocols used by these devices including mirrored bits, Modbus, DNP, and SNMP is desired.
- Networking Technologies - The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about configuring and troubleshooting Cisco switches and routers. Knowledge of and experience in routing protocols, Port Security, Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE), Domain Authentication, and VLANs is desired. Additionally, knowledge of best security practices is desired.
- Information Technology (I/T) Management - The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) including managing patch deployments, configuring policies, troubleshooting application issues, and developing/deploying software images.
- Network Security - The candidate should be knowledgeable about or interested in learning about, including but not limited to, System Information and Event Management (SIEM) including creating anomalies alert dashboards; access controls to include Identification, Authentication, Authorization, and Accountability (IAAA); cybersecurity framework and policies; Network Discovery and asset management; Network Intrusion Prevention and Detection Systems (IPS/IDS); and network penetration testing. A working knowledge of assessment and analytic tools and techniques is a plus.
In addition, the candidate shall adapt work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, emergencies or unexpected obstacles. Have the ability to articulate viewpoints and answers to customers, peers, and supervisors in an effective manner, both written and orally. Identify and analyze technical issues, report, document, and attend project status briefings. Knowledgeable with calendar scheduling, MS Outlook, MS Word/Excel and office equipment such as copiers, printers and scanners.
Description of Skills
The ideal candidate demonstrates the following:
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Service
- Continual Learning
- Effective Communication
Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following is desired:
- Building Automation System programming control logic
- Creating and modifying Building Automation System graphics
- Third party integration via BACnet/Modbus protocol
- Managing and securing network infrastructure (e.g. port security, certificate management, etc.)
- Applying concepts, principles, and methods for network connectivity (e.g. routing, switching, tunneling, and IP addressing)
- Configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting firewalls and access control lists.
- Implementing, configuring, and sustaining computer security (e.g. Active Directory, Domain Policies, Patch Deployment, Antivirus, and Whitelisting)
- Employing Secure Technical Implementation Guidance (STIG) and government security standards.
- Configuring and supporting Schweitzer Real Time Automation Controllers (RTAC)
- Evaluating and documenting PLC programs for electrical power control
- Creating and modifying graphics and points SCADA systems
- Electrical power systems, metering, protection, and control devices
- Assisting project teams
- Computer network defense and forensic capability awareness and use
- Control System network defense experience a plus
- Red and Blue team activities
- Computer network monitoring and forensic experience
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule:
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Monday - Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements between 0600 and 1800 (flexible).
How To Apply - External:
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
HR. Website URL: