Posted by: LOCKHEED MARTIN CORPORATION on Sep 03, 2021
Palo Alto , CA 94089, 94304
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
The Advanced Technology Center (ATC) is searching for a Research Science Senior Manager to join our exceptional team. You will be reporting to the Director of the Optical Sensing and Laser Technologies Directorate of the ATC. As the Research Science Senior Manager, you will be responsible for the successful planning and execution of a portfolio of research and development including thermal and cryogenics, passive optics, and precision controls technologies. You will lead a group of approximately 8-10 direct reports (leaders and individual contributors), with 20-30 indirect reports, including experienced professional technologists, engineers, and scientists within this world-class organization executing activities in support of Lockheed Martin Space.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
• Leading a diverse technology portfolio of R&D projects that contribute to the success of optical sensing and laser technologies at Lockheed Martin Space.
• Working with senior scientists, engineers, principal investigators, and ATC leadership to establish the technology vision and strategy for the group
• Overseeing programs and staffing requirements and managing employee training and career development
• Monitoring program execution
• Pursuit and capture of new business within the portfolio
We are looking for someone who can effectively communicate verbally, and develop concise and professional technical presentations. You will be expected to have a record of successful proposal writing for competitively-awarded R&D funding and excel in developing and maintaining R&D customer intimacy. You should have an enterprising spirit and the ability to forge enduring relationships with internal and external customers, to shape and capture new business while balancing management and technical responsibilities. Thus, we will be looking for someone with strong business acumen.
It is expected that you will devote about 50-70% of your time to functional management tasks, i.e. department and personnel management, new business development, program support/management, while the other portion is devoted to technology research and development. Some travel will be required.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Research and Development, R&D, IR&D, IRAD, Engineering Management, Thermal Engineering, New Business Development and Advanced Technology in Space Systems Research.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific/engineering field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience leading technology development in areas such as cryocoolers, spacecraft thermal management, passive optics, precision controls, and/or spacecraft technology R&D
• Demonstrated leadership resolving technical challenges and leading a team either as a technical lead or functional manager
• Experience leading projects and/or programs with understanding of cost, schedule, and/or performance factors
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance
• Advanced degree in relevant scientific/engineering field
• Experience developing flight-qualified and space-qualified hardware
• Demonstrated ability to transition technology from early TRL research into systems and products
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to lead projects and programs
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to lead new business development
• Demonstrated ability to interact with customers, scientists, engineers, program management and leadership to foster a collaborative research environment
• Demonstrated ability to manage scientific and engineering personnel including work assignments, performance evaluations and promotions
• Established relationships with various government and non-government space research and development organizations
• Active TS/SCI clearance
Bachelors degree or higher
HR. Website URL: