Posted by: National Security Agency on Sep 16, 2020
Fort Meade , MD
In the Graduate Mathematics Program (GMP), you'll collaborate with top Mathematicians and Statisticians in the country, solving problems critical to the success of our missions. You'll have the opportunity to learn and develop mathematical theory and to apply the theory to operational problems. GMP participants work together on problems involving mathematics, statistics, data science, cryptology, and communications technology. Participants document their work in technical papers which are internally published at the Agency. State-of-the-art computing resources are available, as well as computational software packages such as, Python, R, Sage, Magma, MATLAB, and others.
About the Program:
The GMP is a highly competitive program for exceptional mathematics and statistics graduate students. It is a 12-week paid work assignment that runs from the end of May through the middle of August. This program provides students with the opportunity to work directly with NSA Mathematicians and Statisticians on mission-critical problems and experience the excitement of the NSA Mathematics Community first-hand.
The application period is May 1, 2020 - October 31, 2020. Late applications will continue to be accepted through October 31, 2020. Admissions are on a rolling basis and applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time for security processing and review of their application. Applications received after the October 15th deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule:
- Students are paid a salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual and sick leave, and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but is NOT guaranteed.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus.
How To Apply - External:
Applications must be submitted online on or before October 31st. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered. Please note that you will receive a confirmation email once your online application has successfully been submitted.
To submit a resume online during open season:
Click any \
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
HR. Website URL: