Posted by: BAE Systems on May 27, 2020
Job Description BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is currently recruiting for Process Safety Management (PSM) Engineers to join our Safety, Health, and Environmental team in Kingsport, TN reporting to the PSM Program Manager.
In this role you will participate in the following activities:
- Participate on a team of other PSM Engineers that have overall responsibility for all PSM elements at the site, including the PSM Operations Manual.
- Provide technical support for process safety and risk management plan (RMP) compliance activities as needed through a matrix organization.
- Support project teams throughout the entire design, build and commissioning activities by providing design and process safety input and analysis to ensure a safe and compliant process.
- Help ensure that process design is compliant with Federal, State and Department of Defense regulations and requirements.
- Ensure that process design eliminates minimizes safety risk to an acceptable level including safety instrumented system design.
- Participate in internal design reviews and participate (or lead) Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) and perform Layers of Protection Analyses.
- Work closely with project teams to ensure completion of PHA generated follow up actions. You will perform process safety investigations as required.
- Develop a deep working knowledge of the common hazards related to processing energetic materials and how to prevent and/or mitigate those hazards.
- Provide technical safety support to manufacturing areas and management teams as required.
- Develop and maintain safety policies/standards related to process design.
- Develop and/or conduct training in PSM as needed.
- Support the property protection insurance program.
Required Skills and Education Bachelor's Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or other related field with three to eight years of experience.
Some prior experience working with process safety or RMP at an industrial facility, including experience with leading PHAs or other Hazard Analyses.
Must have the ability to implement process safety programs in a chemical manufacturing arena and above average computer skills (e.g., spreadsheets, word processing, and database management)
Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, including presenting information to senior leadership and regulatory agencies.
Highly motivated, organized, results-driven self-starter with an ability to work issues across a multi-layered organization in a team approach.
Must be able to coordinate multiple priorities at the same time in a fast-paced environment with minimal oversight or supervision and be able to work closely with staff from all levels of the organization to achieve desired results.
Preferred Skills and Education Experience in safe design of facilities handling propellants and explosives.
Experience in performing qualitative and quantitative hazard analysis of impact, friction, static electricity, and shock hazards of propellants and explosives.
Experience in supporting compliance with Process Safety Management and Risk Management standards.
Experience using PHA-PRO or similar Process Hazard Analysis software.
Center for Chemical Process Safety Certification (CCPSC)
Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
Experience in performance of incident investigation utilizing root cause analysis techniques.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
HR. Website URL: